Main content

Frankenfield family ledgers and school books


Held at: Haycock Historical Society [Contact Us]P.O. Box 715, Haycock, PA, 18951

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Haycock Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Overview and metadata sections

The first store in Haycock (Bucks County, Pennsylvania), and the only store for the latter half of the 19th century, was the Frankenfield Store. It was built in 1868 by Henry Frankenfield and carried on by family members including M. D. Frankenfield, Abel Frankenfield, John Bergstresser, E. A. Frankenfield, and A. H. Frankenfield. In 1872, M. D. Frankenfield began operating the Haycock Run Post Office from within the store. The post office and store shared the space for several decades; in the 1890s the store was known as "E. A. Frankenfield, Dealer in Dry Goods, Hardware, Drugs, Boots, Shoes, Flour, Notions, Etc." The store ceased operations in the early 1900s but the post office continued at the location until 1948.

Jonah Frankenfield was born in 1838 and died in 1917. He and his wife, Emma, had two children: Edwin A. (1865-1894) and Sarah A. (1862-1935). Sarah A. married Oliver K. Ott (1860-1944), son of Jeremiah Ott (1829-1896).


Buck, William Joseph. Account of the Buck Family of Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Bucks County, Pa. : Privately printed, 1893. Accessed May 29, 2013. Page 88

This collection consists of six ledgers from the Frankenfield store (1890-1894), eight penmanship books from Sarah Frankenfield (circa 1870), and one ciphering book from Sarah Frankenfield's father-in-law, Jeremiah Ott (1846). The ledgers date from the period when the store was run by E. A. Frankenfield, and are as follows: store inventory ledger, 1890-1894; daybook (#2), 1890 September 29 - 1891 July 25; daybook (#3), 1891 July 27 - 1892 May 28; daybook (#4), 1892 May 30 - 1893 July 17; daybook, 1893 July 17 - 1894 August 27; daybook, 1894 September 3 - 1894 November 17.

Gift of Edna Berger, circa 2010.

Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.

This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.

In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Haycock Historical Society directly for more information.

Haycock Historical Society
Finding Aid Author
Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Access Restrictions

Contact Haycock Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.

Collection Inventory

Print, Suggest