Glen Foerd Conservation Corporation local history collection
Held at: Glen Foerd on the Delaware [Contact Us]5001 Grant Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19114
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Glen Foerd on the Delaware. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
"Torresdale is roughly bordered by Linden Ave (once known as Eleven Mile Lane, being 11 miles from the center of Philadelphia) to Poquessing Creek (the border of Bucks and Philadelphia Counties) and Frankford Ave to the Delaware. The area was settled by Swede's in the mid 1600's. A bake house located on the Delaware where Baker's Bay is today supplied Washington's troops with bread during the Revolution. The name Torresdale comes from Torrisdale, the ancestral Scottish home of Charles Macalester, the man who originally owned the land now in use by Glen Foerd Mansion. In 1850, Macalaster bought this land and had a small summer home built on it. The estate of Captain Barry was located at Grant Ave and the RR Station. In 1847 the Sisters of the Sacred Heart, based at Logan Circle, purchased this 40 acres and called it Eden Hall. Torresdale saw many fine mansions built in the latter half of the 19th century. An amusement park was located at Frankford Ave and the Poquessing in the late 1800's and the area along the Delaware south of Grant Ave was known as Resort Town with casinos and fancy boarding houses. Pleasant Hill Park at Linden Ave and the river was a popular recreation spot in the early 20th century."
"Torresdale." Center for Northeast Philadelphia History, sponsored by the Historical Society of Frankford. Accessed September 29, 2011. http://frankfordhistoricalsociety.org/cneph/torresdale/trdhood.htm.
The majority of the material in this collection is secondary. There are newspaper clippings, circa 1994-2007; photocopies of historic deeds and maps; and reproductions of historical photographs. The bulk relate to Torresdale history, but some concern neighboring communities such as Holmesburg, Tacony, and Byberry. There is a graduate thesis about Eden Hall, a convent and Catholic girls school in Torresdale that opened in 1849. This collection features one envelope of original documents from the Kramer family, circa 1890-1950, and scattered original photographs, including some framed items.
Much of the collection was assembled by the Torresdale Historical Society, and was donated to the Glen Foerd Conservation Corporation when that historical society folded. Additional materials have been added since.
The majority of this collection was donated by the Torresdale Historical Society when it folded. Some materials from the Torresdale Historical Society were compiled by Pat Stopper. Additional items in this collection were accrued at other times.
- Glen Foerd on the Delaware
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Glen Foerd on the Delaware for information about accessing this collection.