Held at: Delaware County Historical Society [Contact Us]408 Avenue of the States, Chester, Pennsylvania, 19013
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Delaware County Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Kiwanis International is a coeducational service club that was founded in 1915. It is headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. "Kiwanis clubs focus on changing the world by serving children, one child and one community at a time."
The Kiwanis Club of Yeadon, formed by a small group of men from the Borough of Yeadon, Delaware County, Pennsylvania, received its charter from Kiwanis International on January 19, 1939. The Club was very active in the community and sponsored numerous youth activities. Among other things, the club established a Youth Center, sponsored a basketball league, held an annual dinner for area orphans, and sponsored the Annual Kiwanis Show in which many Yeadon residents participated. The Club dissolved by the late 2000s.
Quoted text from: Kiwanis International. "About Kiwanis." Accessed July 8, 2013. http://www.kiwanis.org/kiwanis/about-kiwanis#.UdsRvawU58E
"Our Club, 1939-1946." Leaflet found in collection.
The collection includes a mostly complete set of annual reports, as well as some newsletters, reports of club elections, and photographs. There are also scattered materials relating to the club's history, club events, and club-sponsored scholarships as well as some ephemera. Records include: annual reports, 1941-1958, 1960-2006; newsletters, 1986-2000; reports of club elections, 1962-2005; and a few materials relating to the Flag Day Road Race (1981, 1989), the Circle K Club, Turkey Trot Race, and scholarships. Also included are a 50th anniversary leaflet (1989) and a list of past presidents (1939-2005).
Gift of Gerard Connely, 2010 (accessions 2010.34 and 2011.19).
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Delaware County Historical Society directly for more information.
- Delaware County Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Delaware County Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.