Held at: Delaware County Historical Society [Contact Us]408 Avenue of the States, Chester, Pennsylvania, 19013
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Delaware County Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Bank of Delaware County opened its doors in Chester, Pennsylvania in 1814. For the next fifty years, it served as the only banking service in Chester and the surrounding community. In 1864, under the new National Banking and Currency Act, the bank became the Delaware County National Bank. Two new national banks, the First National Bank in Chester and a national bank in Media, were formed at the same time.
By 1926, there were seven banks in the city of Chester. The Delaware County National Bank absorbed the Merchants Trust Company (also located in Chester), and two years later consolidated with the Pennsylvania National Bank. The title affiliate of the Pennsylvania National Bank (Pennsylvania Title Company) merged with the trust department of the former Merchants Trust Company to form the Pennsylvania Title and Trust Company. In 1932, the Pennsylvania Title and Trust Company assumed the liability of the Delaware County Trust Company, and in 1933 the Pennsylvania Title and Trust Company was merged with the trust department of the Delaware County Trust Company to form a new corporation also called the Delaware County Trust Company with J.C. Taylor as chairman of the Board of Directors.
Around the same time, in 1930, the Cambridge Trust Company (founded 1901) merged with the Chester National Bank to form the Chester-Cambridge Bank and Trust Company. With all of these mergers accomplished, the city of Chester was left with three banks.
Fidelity Bank subsequently acquired the Delaware County Trust Company.
Delaware County National Bank Anniversary Committee. "Delaware County National Bank, Chester, PA, 1814-1939." 1939. Accessed July 1, 2013. http://delawarecountyhistory.com/chestercity/documents/DelcoNatlBank.pdf.
This collection consists of reports on the assets and liabilities of the Pennsylvania Title and Trust Company and the former Delaware County Trust Company, which merged to form the new Delaware County Trust Company. There is also one volume, J. C. Taylor and J. A. Cochran joint expense account, Chester Cambridge Bank and Trust, 1938-1939.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Delaware County Historical Society directly for more information.
- Delaware County Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Delaware County Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.