Foulke family papers
Held at: Chestnut Hill Historical Society [Contact Us]8708 Germantown Ave., Philadelphia, PA, 19118
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Chestnut Hill Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
In 1698 Eleanor and Edward Foulke came to Gwynedd from Wales. Their grandson William (1837-1925) m. Anna Jeanes. Their son Walter Longfellow Foulke (1882-1918 died of influenza) m. Helen Pardee (1882-1951). Their daughter Marguerite Foulke (1889-1982) m. Gerrit F. Judd III (1885-1963). Walter's son, William Green Foulke II (1912-1934) m. Louisa Lawrence Wood (1915-2007). Their son Walter Longfellow (1939-) m. Wendy Taylor (1943-), their children are David Pardee (1966-) and Laura Taylor (1969-).
The collection includes information about the Calvin Pardee home at 243 West Tulpehocken St, Germantown, and at 239 West Walnut Lane, Germantown. He was a rich coal baron. M & M William Green Foulke II lived at 252 West Chestnut Hill Ave, Chestnut Hill in a carriage house which they converted and named Beechen Green (from Keats). They first rented, then owned this house, and lived there from 1944 or 45 to 1977, when they moved to 321 E. Evergreen Ave, Chestnut Hill.
Collection covers archives, photos and an urn from the Calvin Pardee and the Walter Longfellow families.
Gift of Walter Foulke, 2007.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2011-2012 as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania’s Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR), using data provided by the Chestnut Hill Historical Society. The HCI-PSAR project was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was done in the HCI-PSAR project.
- Chestnut Hill Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by staff of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories using data provided by the Chestnut Hill Historical Society.
- This preliminary finding aid was created by staff of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania’s Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) using data provided by the Chestnut Hill Historical Society. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Chestnut Hill Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.