Bridesburg Historical Society local history collection
Held at: Bridesburg Historical Society [Contact Us]Buckius & Edgemont Streets, Philadelphia, PA, 19137
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Bridesburg Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Bridesburg is a neighborhood located in the northeast section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is bounded by the Delaware River and the Frankford Creek. It was originally known as Kirkbridesburg after Joseph Kirkbride, a prominent citizen who owned much land in the area and operated a ferry across the Frankford Creek. The neighborhood's name was eventually shortened to Bridesburg. The community began to form around 1800, and industry moved into the area with the U.S. Arsenal on Frankford Creek (commonly known as the Frankford Arsenal) in 1812 and the Bridesburg Manufacturing Company in 1820. With these industries the community grew, and Bridesburg was incorporated as a borough in 1848. It became part of Philadelphia in the 1854 Act of Consolidation.
Siegle, Frederick and Teresa Pyott. Images of America: Bridesburg. Charleston, S.C.: Arcadia, 2004.
The collection includes original and reproduction photographs, newsletters and ephemera, clippings, research materials, and a small amount of original documents and deeds. Of special interest are a number of photographs and real photo postcards created William H. Sliker, a well-known Philadelphia photographer based in Bridesburg in the first decades of the 20th century. There is also a small amount of material relating to Rohm & Haas, a multi-national chemical manufacturing company that was based in Bridesburg for nearly a century. The collection is stored in two locations.
In Marian Hall, there are files on local history topics organized by category (e.g. schools, industry, religion and education, and others). There are also binders on the following topics:
Bridesburg architecture photographs, 2001
Bridesburg weddings photographs (reproductions, 1900-1950)
Copies of maps (with index)
Postcards, circa 1900-1920
Genealogical research and 1850 census
Rohm & Haas photographs (mostly reproductions)
Sports photographs (two binders of reproductions)
The basement of All Saints' Church contains original deeds, correspondence, photographs, films, and other materials. These include:
Copies of photographs and documents relating to the Donnelly family
Hugh Roberts research materials
John W. and Bud Gross 16mm films of holidays and family events, 1956-1967
Josephine Cuprys, about 2 dozen letters from her brothers in the service during WWII, 1941-1945
Photograph album with Memorial Day photographs and reproductions of Civil War photographs, circa 1990
Photograph album with soldiers, circa 1945
Photographs of Bridesburg citizens, buildings, and events, circa 1890-2000
Research for Bridesburg book (Arcadia publishing)
Scrapbooks of tickets and ephemera, circa 1938
Unidentified family photograph album, circa 1920
Water bills, 1913-1927
Materials collected by or created by the Bridesburg Historical Society.
- Bridesburg Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- Access Restrictions
Contact Bridesburg Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.