Held at: Science History Institute Archives [Contact Us]315 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Science History Institute Archives. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
H. K. Mulford Co. grew out of Remington & Sayre, once the oldest drug store in Philadelphia. The company was incorporated in 1891and expanded in 1897, 1902 and 1907. The company began manufacturing diphtheria antitoxins and vaccines in 1893 and by the 1930s had added insulin to its product line. The American Ferment Company was begun by James H. Cummings, a Buffalo, New York chemist. He manufactured and sold an extensive line of products, all of which carried the trade name Caroid and these were sold in the U.S. and Canada (via Carter, Cummings & Co., a Canadian subsidiary.).
The Cutting catalogue contains information on early spectroscopy kits and also includes a circular periodic table. The advertising cards are from H. K. Mulford Company and from the American Ferment Company.
This is a small collection consisting of a 4 x 6 salmon colored 30 page paperbound catalogue published by T. A. Cutting & Sons, Campbell, CA. is catalogue #7, published in 1937 and two postcard sized multi colored advertising cards on still paper.
Source of acquisition--McCormack, W. B.. Method of acquisition--gift;; Date of acquisition--2011..
- Science History Institute Archives