Notebook of Elmer Percy Trevors
Held at: Science History Institute Archives [Contact Us]315 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Science History Institute Archives. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Lowell Textile School was founded in 1895 and it originally offered 3-year diplomas in cotton or wool manufacture, design, or textile chemistry and dyeing. In 1913 the school began to offer bachelor's degrees and in 1929 it was re-named the Lowell Textile Institute to reflect an expanded curriculum and faculty. In 1953 the curriculum was again expanded to include programs in paper, plastics electronics and other technologies. The school then became the Lowell Technological Institute. In 1971 the institute ceased to offer its textile program.
This notebook which has been removed from its original binder consists of three sections, Lecture notes, Laboratory experiment, and textile fiber sample pages. The lecture notes are handwritten in black and red ink, with inserted mimeographed and typewritten pages, and a black and white photograph. The notes also include hand drawn ink illustrations. The laboratory notes consist of experiments written black ink with results written in red ink. The sample pages include 159 samples of textile fiber, yarn, and fabric samples. The samples are mounted on pre printed sample pages and are related to the lectures and experiments.
These are disbound pages of a notebook kept by Elmer P. Trevors while attending Lowell Textile School. The lectures were given by Prof. Louis A. Olney, founder of the American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists. This is a good set of note legible and comprehensive that conveys the essence of Olney's teaching.
Source of acquisition--American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists. Method of acquisition--Gift; Date of acquisition--2000..
- Science History Institute Archives