Records of the American Chemical Society Division of Environmental Chemistry
Held at: Science History Institute Archives [Contact Us]315 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Science History Institute Archives. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Division was formed in 1915 as the Division of Water, Sewage and Sanitation Chemistry. In 1959 and 1964 there were subsequent name changes and not until 1973 did the Division of Environmental Chemistry assume its current form. Since 1954, a regular feature of this division has been a series of regularly held symposia. In 1961-62 the division began to produce compendia of preprints of extended abstracts of the talks presented at these symposia.
For a more detailed inventory, please view this record in our library catalog: https://othmerlib.sciencehistory.org/record=b1055814~S6
The collection is lacking in material dealing with the division's earlier years, but the material from 1954 onwards is fairly comprehensive, most it related to the various symposia.
The collection is divided between division documents and collections of preprints of talks presented at various Division of Environmental Chemistry symposia.
The preprints portion of the collection has undergone various physical changes. From its debut in 1961-62 until the year 2000 the Preprints of Extended Abstracts were presented in printed paper bound volumes. But commencing in 1999 with Vol. 39, the preprints began to appear solely in CD-Rom format. The cds have been separated from the collection and stored in the Cold Room.
Source of acquisition--ACS Division of Environmental Chemistry. Method of acquisition--gift;.
- Science History Institute Archives