Records of the Solvay Process Company
Held at: Science History Institute Archives [Contact Us]315 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Science History Institute Archives. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
This collection consists of a set of microfilms of the Solvay Process Company's technical documents, patents, reports, scrapbooks and photographs. The collection also includes correspondance and newsletter articles about the preservation of the collection and the distribution of microfilm sets from the Solvay Public Library in NY to the Chemical Heritage Foundation and the Edelstein Center.
Solvay Process Company was formed in 1881 by two Belgian brothers, Ernest and Alfred Solvay, who had perfected a new procedure for producing soda ash which became known as the Solvay Process. The Solvay Process Company was absorbed in 1921 by the Allied Chemical & Dye Corporation. The records of the Solvay Process Company are housed at the Solvay Public Library in Solvay, NY. The Solvay Process Company Records were microfilmed and sets were acquired by the Chemical Heritage Foundation who gave another set to the Sidney M. Edelstein Center at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
Type of reproduction--Microfilm.; Place of reproduction--New York :; Agency responsible for reproduction--Solvay Public Library: Date of reproduction--?. Physical description of reproduction--46 reels ; 35mm.
Holder of originals: Orginal materials held at the--Solvay Public Library.
- Science History Institute Archives