Records of the American Chemical Society Division of Inorganic Chemistry
Held at: Science History Institute Archives [Contact Us]315 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Science History Institute Archives. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Division of Inorganic Chemistry is a division of the American Chemical Society. It broke away from the Division of Physical and Inorganic Chemistry, one of the oldest divisions of the ACS, because of a sense on the part of Inorganic Chemists that their needs were not being adequately met. In September 1956 at the Fall National Meeting of the ACS, a formal statement was presented together with the required number of signed petition forms and the Division of Inorganic Chemistry was approved for probation status. John C. Bailar, Jr. acted as its first Chairman. A slate of officers was appointed by the Council and bylaws were submitted and approved. After the one-year probation period, the new division received its formal acceptance in 1958.
The Division of Inorganic Chemistry established a triannual newsletter and held regular social functions for its members. The division experienced rapid growth of membership based on affordability of member dues and a rising interest in the field of inorganic chemistry. The ACS Division of Inorganic Chemistry is currently active and is distinguished as the oldest Inorganic Chemistry organization in North America.
American Chemical Society Division of Inorganic Chemistry. "Advancing the Science of Inorganic Chemistry." https://acsdic.org/
Bailer Jr., John C. "A History of the Division of Inorganic Chemistry, American Chemical Society." Journal of Chemical Education 66, no. 7 (July 1989): 537-545.
Records of the American Chemical Society Division of Inorganic Chemistry, Science History Institute Archives, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
The Records of the American Chemical Society Division of Inorganic Chemistry contains the division's institutional records. Consisting mainly of correspondence, the records are arranged into the following five series:
The Records of the American Chemical Society Division of Inorganic Chemistry were donated to the Science History Institute (formerly known as the Chemical Heritage Foundation)in October 1990 by the State Historical Society of Wisconsin, who was gifted the records by Aaron J. Ihde.
The Records of the American Chemical Society Division of Inorganic Chemistry were processed by Andrew Mangravite in 2016. This finding aid was revised by Birch Mezzaroba in February 2022.
- Science History Institute Archives
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid created by Andrew Mangravite and encoded into EAD by Birch Mezzaroba
- Finding Aid Date
- Access Restrictions
There are no restrictions on materials and the collection is open to the public.
- Use Restrictions
The Science History Institute holds copyright to the Records of the American Chemical Society Division of Inorganic Chemistry. The researcher assumes full responsibility for all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.
These files are arranged in their original order and offer a glimpse into the establishment of the ACS Division of Inorganic Chemistry, its status as a Probationary Division and the work of creating a fully functioning Division. The contents of the files in this series consist of annual reports, meeting minutes, and a manual.
Arranged in original order, these files contain correspondence both internal and external to the ACS Division of Inorganic Chemistry. These files are topical by nature.
See also Box 3 Folder 11.
These files consist of early newsletters and some publications of the ACS that had a bearing on the work of the Division of Inorganic Chemistry.
This series contains correspondence files that deal with the organization and duties of the various divisional committees. Of historical interest are the original Petitions to the ACS to allow Inorganic Chemistry to function as its own division. The contents of these files in this series consist mainly of correspondence. Other miscellaneous accompanying materials, including, but not limited to, meeting minutes and reports are preserved here as well.
See also Box 1 Folder 6.
These are correspondence files discussing the planning for, and problems arising from, individual meetings of the ACS Division of Inorganic Chemistry. From 1959 onward, they frequently concern the programming or presentations and the organizing of speakers.