Milton Friends of Progress Records
Held at: Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Milton Friends of Progress, in Ulster County, N.Y., was founded by former members of Marlborough Monthly Meeting of Friends (Hicksite) and met in the Quaker meeting house south of Milton. The Friends of Progress were first formally organized in 1854, although the predecessor meeting had been formally laid down by Westbury Quarter in 1847 after a series of disciplinary reorganizations prompted by New York Yearly Meeting (Hicksite).
The Milton Friends of Progress were part of a wider movement referred to as Progressive or Congregational Friends which differed with the Hicksite yearly meetings over church government and the extent to which Quakers should support and participate in contemporary reform movements. The Milton group corresponded with others at Waterloo (N.Y.), Longwood (Pa.), Green Plain (Ohio), North Collins (N.Y.) and elsewhere. In later years, the society was primarily concerned with the maintenance of the graveyard.
Transferred from Haviland Records Room by New York Yearly Meeting, 1997
- Pennsylvania Yearly Meeting of Progressive Friends (1853-1940)
- Yearly Meeting of Congregational Friends (Waterloo, N.Y.)
- Marlborough Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends : Hicksite: 1828-1847 : Milton, N.Y.)
- Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College