Marlbrough Preparative Meeting (Hicksite) Records
Held at: Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
A meeting for worship at Newmarlborough was allowed by Nine Partners in 1776, and Marlborough Preparative Meeting was in existence before 1780. It was set off to Creek Monthly Meeting in 3mo 1782, then to Cornwall upon its establishment in 1788. It became a part of Marlborough Monthly Meeting in 1804. The meeting separated into two branches in 1828. The Hicksite branch was joined to New York Monthly Meeting in 1847. Although Marlborough Preparative Meeting (Hicksite) was officially laid down by that meeting later that year, members continued to meet and eventually became Friends of Human Progress. The Orthodox branch changed its name to Milton Executive Meeting in 1888 and was laid down in 1963.
Records of Marlborough Preparative Meeting, 1832-1837. Includes Men's minutes, 1832-1837.
Divided into series: Men's minutes: 1.1 1832-1847.
Transferred from Haviland Records Room by NYYM in 1997.
- Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Finding Aid Author
- Inventory prepared by: FHL Staff
- Finding Aid Date
- Access Restrictions
Where available, access is through microfilm.
- Use Restrictions
Information on reproduction policies available in the library.
Available on microfilm in the Library:
- Swarthmore: No Film
1 vol.; 2.5 cmMaterial Specific Details