Held at: Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Adelphi Monthly Meeting was established as a united meeting in 1956, formed by the joining of the Orthodox Washington Monthly Meeting (Irving Street) and College Park Meeting under the new shared name of Adelphi. Its meetinghouse was purchased with proceeds reserved by Baltimore Yearly Meeting from the sale of the Irving Street Meetinghouse previously used by Washington Monthly Meeting (Orthodox).
Washington Monthly Meeting (Orthodox) was formally established in 1899 although Quakerism in Washington, DC dates to at least 1807. After the 1828 Separation, Orthodox Quakers in the District were attached to Indian Spring Preparative Meeting in Maryland, but by 1876 were holding Meetings for Worship in DC homes and began construction on a dedicated meetinghouse in 1899. That meetinghouse was sold in 1947 with worship having moved to the Friends Meeting Washington meetinghouse after its construction in 1930. Washington Monthly Meeting (Orthodox) records are described separately in QM-B-W375.
College Park began hosting a small Meeting for Worship in 1949, and was not independently established as a monthly meeting.
Adelphi Friends Meeting is an active meeting.
- Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.
- Use Restrictions
Copyright has not been assigned to the Repository. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.
1 folderPhysical Location
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College