Edward F. Snyder Papers
Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Edward Furnas Snyder is a Quaker lobbyist for peace, civil rights, and economic justice. He was born in 1925 in Iowa and raised in Maine. He later married Dorothy Snyder. Edward Snyder received his law degree (1951) from Yale Law School. He joined staff of Friends Committee on National Legislation in 1955 and retired in 1990 as Executive Secretary of the FCNL Snyder argued against legislation for a U.S. military draft and excessive military spending; worked for cultural and scientific exchanges between Soviet and U.S. citizens to lessen tensions of the Cold War. Edward and Dorothy Snyder have long been tax resisters; and withheld those taxes during the Vietnam War which would have gone to military purposes. In 1990 they filed suit against the U.S. government, arguing that the government was using taxpayers' money illegally to fund war in El Salvador and Nicaragua.
This collection contains the papers of Edward Snyder and his work for the Friends Committee on National Legislation and the American Friends Service Committee from the 1950s onward.
This collection is unprocessed and remains in the order in which it was donated.
Gift of Edward F. Snyder, 2011 [Acc. 11A-029]
This collection is unprocessed. This finding aid was created by Declan White in June, 2011.
- Audio cassette
- Bumper sticker
- Quakers -- Political activity -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Society of Friends -- Political activity -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Peace Movements -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Tax protests and appeals -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Antinuclear movement -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Nuclear Disarmament -- History -- Sources
- Lobbying -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Access Restrictions
- Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendents, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
- Use Restrictions