Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The United Peace Chest was begun as a coordinating and integrating organization for peace groups in the Philadelphia area. Over 125 organizations cooperated in its work. Its principal activity was fundraising through an annual campaign called the Peace Chest Campaign. It also provided a nucleus of support for the Philadelphia Peace Council to serve all peace groups and activities in the Philadelphia area. The main organizations participating in the campaigns and receiving the bulk of its funds were: The National Council for Prevention of War; The Women's International League for Peace and Freedom, Pennsylvania Branch; The Philadelphia Peace Council; the Fellowship of Reconciliation; and, the Committee on Militarism in Education. The Peace Council and the Committee on Militarism in Education did not continue after their work was given up in the 1940's.
When the United Peace Chest moved from 1924 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, to 2006 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Margaret Doty, a retiring finance secretary, was asked to prepare a quantity of records for deposit in the Peace Collection. This was received in January 1947. After the Peace Chest was disbanded early in 1956, its remaining records were received and processed. Its work was continued in a reduced form by the Pennsylvania Branch of the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom under the name of Funds for Peace and Freedom. The Fellowship of Reconciliation and the National Council for Prevention of War withdrew at that time. An additional box of material was received with the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom accession of 1966. This was processed and put with the other Untied Peace Chest materials in May 1970.
This collection is comprised of minutes, reports, treasurer's statements, fundraising material, publicity material, and literature, with correspondence from Fredrick J. Libby and with cooperating organizations, publicity on meetings, and literature, etc. There is also a small amount of material on the work of the Baltimore Peace Chest, 1938-1940.Correspondents include Frederick J. Libby and Muriel Lester.
Gift of United Peace Chest, 1947, 1956.
Checklist revised by Anne Yoder, December 1997; this finding aid was prepared by Chloe Lucchesi- Malone, August 2009.
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open for research use.
All or part of this collection is stored off-site. Contact Swarthmore College Peace Collection staff at firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance of visit to request boxes.
- Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendents, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
- Use Restrictions