Joseph Miller Papers
Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Joseph Miller was a mortgage banker; founder and president of Barco, Inc. He was educated at Temple University and St. Joseph's College in Philadelphia. Miller was married to fellow activist, Eleanor Miller who died in 1977. Joseph Miller was an activist for peace and social justice causes such as welfare rights, racial justice, the environment, world peace, the homeless, and women's rights. He was the founder of the Philadelphia People's Bail Fund and the Philadelphia Urban Finance Corporation. Miller served as the treasurer of the National Committee for a Sane Nuclear Policy and was the co-chairman of the Philadelphia Housing Task Force. Joseph Miller died in 1997.
Includes biographical material, correspondence and reference files about U.S. and Philadelphia-area peace and social justice movements of the 1960s and 1970s, including the Philadelphia People's Bail Fund and the Philadelphia Urban Finance Corporation.
This collection is unprocessed and remains in the order in which is was donated.
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is the official repository for these papers/records.
Gift of David Miller, 1997 [Acc. 97A-044].
This collection is unprocessed; a finding aid was prepared by Chloe Lucchesi-Malone, July 2009; and was updated by Wendy E. Chmielewski, November 2019.
Items removed: Memorablia
- Bankers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- Sources
- Community development, Urban -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- Sources
- Peace Movements -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- Sources
- Social justice -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- Sources
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Access Restrictions
- Copyright to the Joseph Miller Papers has been transferred to the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Copyright to all other materials is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
- Use Restrictions