Philadelphia War Tax Resistance Records
Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Philadelphia War Tax Resistance was an outgrowth of A Quaker Action Group, which was an associate member of the War Resisters League and of the Society of Friends. As part of a national movement known as War Tax Resistance, the local group became known as Philadelphia War Tax Resistance/War Resisters League in 1975. It was one of 190 centers for the national organization. The organization, using money donated by war tax resisters, created the Alternative Fund, which made loans to community organizations that shared its nonviolent values.
This collection includes correspondence, administrative files, court records, financial records, minutes of meetings, periodicals, and reference files of the Philadelphia War Tax Resistance.
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is the official repository for these papers/records.
Gift of Philadelphia War Tax Resistance, 1995 [Acc.95A-036].
This collection is unprocessed and remains in the order in which it was received. This finding aid was created by Amanda Cardillo on June 22, 2012.
- Periodicals (Philadelphia War Tax Resistance Newsletter and others)
- War tax resistance -- United States -- History -- Sources
- War tax resistance -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- Sources
- Peace Movements -- History -- Sources
- Economic conversion -- United States -- History -- Sources
- War resistance movements -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- Sources
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Access Restrictions
- Copyright to the Philadelphia War Tax Resistance Records created by the organization has been transferred to the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Copyright to all other materials is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
- Use Restrictions