International Peace Walk Records
Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The International Peace Walk (IPW) was begun in January, 1987 by individuals who had participated in the Great Peace March for Global Nuclear Disarmament. IPW members organized marches across the United States and the Soviet Union in 1987 and 1988, with marches planned for future years. The purpose was to create a climate of trust between American and Soviet citizens in which arms control and reductions would become increasingly easier, and to focus attention on the costs of the U.S.-Soviet arms race. The IPW was headquartered in Washington, D.C., with regional U.S. offices. The collection includes correspondence, administrative files, marcher applications, newspaper clippings, photographs, slides, and banners. Among the correspondents are: Allan Affeldt, Allen Smith, and Franklin Folsom.
This collection remains in the order in which it was donated.
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is the official repository for these records.
Gift of International Peace Walk, 1987 [Acc. 87A-084]; 1988 [Acc. 88A-024], Edward McMullan, [Acc. 88A-042], Helena Adams [Acc. Acc. 88A-043], [ Acc. 88A-072], Marty Shane [Acc. 88A-055], Franklin Folsom [Acc. 88A-101], IPW [Acc. 88A-110]; 2011 Donna Rankin Love [Acc. 11A-054]
This collection remains unprocessed.
- The Peace Report, issues 1 and 2
- Photographs and slides have been removed to the SCPC Photograph Collection
- Banner has been removed to the SCPC Memorabilia Collection
- Memorabilia has been removed to the SCPC Memorabilia Collection
- Buttons have been removed to the SCPC Button Collection
- Arms control -- Citizen participation -- History -- Sources
- Peace walks and marches -- History -- Sources
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Access Restrictions
- Copyright to the records created by International Peace Walk has been transferred to the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Copyright to all other materials is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
- Use Restrictions