NGO Committee on Disarmament Records
Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The NGO Committee on Disarmament was established in June 1973 by a group of international NGOs (non-governmental organizations). The organization had petitioned the New York Bureau of the Conference of NGOs in Consultative Status with the U.N. Economic and Social Council to form a Committee on Disarmament at U.N. headquarters. This new Committee would be parallel to the Special NGO Committee on Disarmament in Geneva, Switzerland. The purposes of the organization were: 1. to bring interested NGOs together to discuss current disarmament negotiations and potential progress; 2. to relate the programs of NGOs to current U.N. disarmament goals; 3. to monitor work in the U.N. on the economic and social consequences of disarmament; 4. to coordinate NGO liaison with various organs and units of the U.N. involved in disarmament; and 5. to cooperate closely with the Special NGO Committee on Disarmament at Geneva.
This collection is only partially processed. All accessions from 1977-1987 have been placed together. Material collected after that time is listed either in the "Refile boxes" or in separate accessions, e.g. the box of files received in 2066.
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is the official repository for these papers/records.
Gift of NGO Committee on Disarmament, 1977 [Acc. 77A-093]; 1980 [Acc. 80A-023]; 1981 [Acc. 81A-025]; 1983 [Acc. 83A-042]; 1984 [Acc. 84A-003]; 1987 [Acc. 87A-053]; 2006 [Acc.06A-046].
Processed on July 19, 2013.
- NGO Committee on Disarmament
- United Nations
- United Nations. General Assembly. Special Session (1978)
- United Nations. General Assembly. Special Session (12th : 1982)
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Access Restrictions
- Copyright to the NGO Committee on Disarmament records created by the organization has been transferred to the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Copyright to all other materials is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
- Use Restrictions