Peace Action Center Records
Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Peace Action Center began in 1961 as a continuation of the vigil at Fort Detrick, Md. Peace activists had sponsored a continuous vigil as early as 1959 seeking the abandonment of biological weapons and appealed for the conversion of the fort into a world health center. The Peace Action Center included cooperative living quarters for the staff of religious pacifists, mostly Quakers. PAC staff including Lawrence Scott, director, and Jack L. Bagley, Sarah Bishop, Florence Y. Carpenter, Bertha Faust, William R. Martin, Gelston McNeil, and Patricia Parkman. The PAC disbanded in the fall 1963.
The collection is unprocessed. It includes PAC administrative records: history of the organization; minutes of internal meetings; financial records; and correspondence. There is material about PAC connections with other peace groups and material about PAC activities.
The collection is loosely organized as follows: general information about PAC activities; financial records; general correspondence; information about contact with other peace groups; additional information about PAC activities.
Guide to the Swarthmore College Peace Collection, 2nd ed., p. 52.
Gift of Lawrence Scott in 1975. Gift of Washington Peace Center, 2010
This collection is unprocessed.
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open for research use.
All or part of this collection is stored off-site. Contact Swarthmore College Peace Collection staff at firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance of visit to request boxes.
- Copyright to the Peace Action Center records created by the organization has been transferred to the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Copyright to all other materials is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
- Use Restrictions