Jonah House Collected Records
Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Jonah House began as a faith-based community in 1973 with a group of people that included Philip Berrigan, a Catholic priest, and Elizabeth McAlister, formerly a Catholic nun. From its inception, the community included religious and lay people, married and single people, children and adults, younger and older people; motto: "nonviolence, resistance and community"; moved from a row house in west Baltimore, Maryland, to St. Peter's Cemetery in 1996, which members of Jonah House help maintain; Jonah House is a Catholic Worker House of Resistance.
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research without restrictions.