Hutterian Brethren Collected Records
Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
A Christian communal organization of Anabaptists founded in Germany in 1920 by Eberhard and Emmy Arnold; persecuted and expelled from Germany by Hitler, they migrated to England in 1936? and to Paraguay in 1940; in 1954 a branch community was begun in the U.S.; in 1961, that group moved to the U.S.; absorbed the Macedonia Cooperative Community in 1957; changed name from Society of Brothers to Hutterian Society of Brothers in 1978; changed name to Hutterian Brethren in 1984; also known as the Bruderhof; communities are also located in Canada; members are pacifist, refuse military service, and do not hold public office or swear oaths.
Includes printed materials: letters, catalogs, and pamphlets.
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is not the official repository for these papers/records.
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Access Restrictions
- Use Restrictions