Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Harlem Ashram; in existence from 1940-1947; an interracial pacifist group living together, organized by J. Holmes Smith, a Methodist missionary working in India who had been expelled from India because of his support for Indian independence, and then came to the United States to spread Gandhi's message of pacifism; this ashram was located in Harlem near Fifth Avenue and 125th Street in New York City; residents of the ashram included James Farmer, George Houser, Bayard Rustin and John Swomley at various times, where they considered the potential for transforming satyagraha into a tool in the struggle against racism.
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research without restrictions.