Central American Sanctuary Alliance Collected Records
Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Central American Sanctuary Alliance of Delaware County; CASA of Delaware County; organized in 1987 in response to needs of Salvadorans and Guatemalans trying to escape repression in their homeland; organized by nine churches, synagogues and Quaker meetings in Delaware County, Pennsylvania; cooperated in giving assistance to the Luis Ramos family which found refuge in Media, Pa.; CASA also became attached to the Nuevo Gualcho community, formed in El Salvador by war refugee families, and provided financial assistance to provide a water supply and education for the children; CASA ceased operation in 2007.
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is not the official repository for the papers of the Central American Sanctuary Alliance of Delaware County.
S FHL note: Delaware County Quaker Meetings involved were: Concord, Lansdowne, Media, Providence, and Swarthmore Friends Meetings.
- Central American Sanctuary Alliance of Delaware County (Delaware County, Pa.)
- Concord Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends)
- Lansdowne Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends
- Media Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends
- Providence Monthly Meeting of Friends (Media, Pa.)
- Swarthmore Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends)
- Sanctuary movement -- Pennsylvania -- Delaware County -- History -- Sources
- Peace Movements -- Pennsylvania -- Delaware County -- History -- Sources
- Political refugees -- Central America -- History -- Sources
- Church work with refugees -- Pennsylvania -- Delaware County -- History -- Sources
- Society of Friends -- War relief and reconstruction -- Central America
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research without restrictions.