Held at: Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections [Contact Us]370 Lancaster Ave, Haverford, PA 19041
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Haverford College Grammar School opened in the fall of 1884. The school was proposed by area residents who wanted a good school near home. The Governing Committee of the school was a standing committee of the Haverford College Board of Managers. While the college had no financial responsibility for the school, it consulted with the head on scholastic work. The school, like the college at the time, was open to men only. In 1884 it had 27 students, and in 1891 115. The school had either moved or closed by 1903, when the building was converted into a dormitory.
- Information from History of Haverford College, 1832-1892 and The Story of a Small College
The Index was a monthly publication issued by Haverford College Grammar School. It includes reports of school events, descriptions of athletics, and essays on a variety of topics (many historical) by students. As volume X begins in 1897, the publication likely began in 1887.
Gift of Marilyn Drinker, July 2003
Processed by Lauryn White and Sarah Horowitz, completed November 2020
- Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections
- Finding Aid Author
- Lauryn White and Sarah Horowitz
- Finding Aid Date
- November, 2020
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open for research use
- Use Restrictions
Standard Federal Copyright Law Applies (U.S. Title 17)