Abington monthly meeting manumissions
Held at: Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections [Contact Us]370 Lancaster Ave, Haverford, PA 19041
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Among the early settlers to the area were Richard Wall and his wife Joane, who arrived in mid-summer of 1682, and purchased 300 acres listed in Penn's original land-grant. The Wall farmhouse was the first gathering place for meetings of the Religious Society of Friends in the area, which originally convened there Dec 3, 1683. In 1697 John Barnes donated 120 acres "for erecting a meetinghouse for Friends and toward the maintenance of a school under the direction of Friends." The original meetinghouse was erected on the donated site between 1698 and 1699. The first recorded Abington Monthly Meeting for business was held there on April 9, 1702. By the middle of the 18th century Abington's meetinghouse was the only building large enough to hold Quarterly Meeting. In 1760 a blacksmith shop was built adjacent to the meetinghouse. Many Quakers came to meeting in horsedrawn vehicles or on horseback; by having a blacksmith shop and engaging a smith for the day they could have their horses shod while they worshiped or attended to business. The original school met in the meetinghouse until a separate structure was built for it in 1784. The meetinghouse was enlarged in 1786, and again in 1797.
During the Orthodox-Hicksite separation, a small Orthodox faction built the "Little Abington" meetinghouse on a separate property.
Source: History of Abington Monthly Meeting, abington.quaker.org
This volume records the manumissions of enslaved people for various members of Abington Monthly meeting. The Manumissions include a statement describing who the enslaver is freeing, and why, and includes the signatures of the enslavers and their witnesses. Individuals whose manumission of enslaved people is recorded in the volume include: Thomas Walton, David Parry, Thomas Fletcher, Susannah and Thomas Walmsley, Sarah Bolton, Margaret Bolton, Rachel Bolton, and Isaac Bolton, Silar Walmsey, Thomas Knight, Giles Knight, Benjamin Mather, Thomas Walton, Daniel Thomas, John Paul, Jonathan Clayton, Margery Cerroll, Jacob Dilworth, Hannah Jenkins, Lydia Warmers, Thomas Austin, and John and Susannah Vanderin.
The Abington monthly meeting manusmissions were donated to Quaker & Special Collections, Haverford College, in 1942 by C.C. Morris.
Processed by Kara Flynn; completed December 2015.
- Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections
- Finding Aid Author
- Kara Flynn
- Finding Aid Date
- December 2015
- Use Restrictions
Standard Federal Copyright Law Applies (U.S. Title 17).