New Jersey Society of Promoting the Abolition of Slavery records
Held at: Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections [Contact Us]370 Lancaster Ave, Haverford, PA 19041
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The New Jersey Society for Promoting the Abolition of Slavery was formed in 1793, and dissolved in 1817. Its purpose was for the abolition of slavery, and advocated for the gradual elimination of slavery, which they believed would have a greater chance for success than other radical measures. It was a part of bringing forward an 1804 act, where in all children born of enslaved women after July 4, 1804 were to be freed after serving as apprentices to their mothers' enslavers. After the passage of this law, the Society went into rapid decline, and many county branches dissolved before the state society dissolved in 1817.
This collection is comprised of two volumes, one from the New Jersey Society for Promoting the Abolition of Slavery, and one from its Burlington County branch. They both contain minutes. The state Society provided nominations of members to the county groups, as well as created rules, by-laws, and constitutions to run those organizations. Much of their work was in the oversight of the county branches. The Burlington County branch minutes also contain the revised constitution, as well as minutes from the group.
The first volume was a gift of Mrs. Egbert S. Cary, Sr in 1946. The second volume was a gift of Caroline Allinson in 1936.
Processed by Mary A. Crauderueff; completed November 2015.
- Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections
- Finding Aid Author
- Mary A. Crauderueff
- Finding Aid Date
- November 2015
- Use Restrictions
Standard Federal Copyright Law Applies (U.S. Title 17).