Main content

Joseph Sturge Mission School Opening and Friends' Freedmen's Relief Association Funds Request


Held at: Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections [Contact Us]370 Lancaster Ave, Haverford, PA 19041

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Overview and metadata sections

The Joseph Sturge Mission School, a First Day school for African Americans, was established in 1865 and was located at the corner of Locust St. and Raspberry Alley in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Classes were held in the Locust Street Mission Association building (918 Locust St.). In 1917, an Executive Committee, known as the Benezet House Association, was formed to educate and aid the city's poor African Americans and immigrants. The committee was made up of the Joseph Sturge Mission School, Anthony Benezet School, and Western District Colored School. A combination of a declining African American population and financial aid withdrawal from the Welfare Federation led to the disbanding of the committee. The school was demolished and sold in 1945.

The Friends' Freedmen's Relief Association, formerly called Friends' Association of Philadelphia and Its Vicinity for the Relief of Colored Freedmen, was founded in 1863 to aid and provide education to freed enslaved people, with a number of schools in Virginia and North Carolina. By the 20th century, state governments were playing a role in educating poor African Americans, and the association shifted to supporting black students, summer work camps, and scholarships. The association disbanded in 1982, with aid being placed under the J. Henry Scattergood Scholarship Fund, to be distributed by Bryn Mawr, Earlham, Guilford, and Haverford Colleges.

This collection contains a leaflet regarding the opening of Joseph Sturge's First Day School at the Friends Locust St. Mission House on January 1st, 1865. There is also a letter from the Board of the Friends' Freedmen's Relief Association requesting funding for the reopening of schools in North Carolina and Virginia, addressed to William W. Smedley in September, 1874.

This collection is arranged chronologically.

Processed by Sakina Gulamhusein, completed February 2023

Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections
Finding Aid Author
Sakina Gulamhusein
Finding Aid Date
February, 2023
Access Restrictions

The collection is open for research use

Use Restrictions

Standard Federal Copyright Law Applies (U.S. Title 17)

Collection Inventory

Joseph Sturge Mission School Opening and Friends' Freedmen's Relief Association Funds Request.
Box 60

Print, Suggest