White-Williams Foundation ephemera
Held at: Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections [Contact Us]370 Lancaster Ave, Haverford, PA 19041
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Founded in 1800, the White-Williams Foundation was initially known as the Magdalen Society of Philadelphia and sought to rescue and reform "fallen" women (referred to as magdalens) such as sex workers. The Society relaxed its emphasis on personal guilt and salvation in response to the lack of success in rehabilitation and focused on providing education to girls. In 1917, the Board of Managers voted to switch its focus to preventing delinquency through educational and vocational support to children. The Society changed its name to the White-Williams Foundation for Girls (later it would also support boys) in 1918 in honor of bishop William White (the first president of the Society) and George Williams, a Quaker (former Board chairman). In 1994, the name changed to White-Williams Scholars, which supported public school students through weekly stipends. Starting in 1995, White-Williams Scholars served as the Administrator for The Charles E. Ellis Trust for Girls, which funds opportunities for girls in Philadelphia who live in low-income, single-parent families. In 2006, White-Williams Scholars began providing college preparation through direct service programs. In 2011, White-Williams Scholars merged with Philadelphia Futures, which later merged with Steppingstone Scholars. Now known as Heights Philadelphia, the organization is focused on providing access to academic and career opportunities and college and career guidance to Black, Brown, and first-generation students.
Pamphlet titled "Making Ends Meet through Scholarships Educational and Vocational Guidance A Junior Employment Service." Dated November 1921. The pamphlet advocates for the prevention of delinquency through education and discusses three aspects of the White-Williams Foundation: the department of school counselors, the department of scholarships, and the junior employment service. The pamphlet has several stories of children with various struggles regarding school and work and how the Foundation addresses these concerns. The White-Williams Foundation's five years review for the period ending December 31, 1921. The pamphlet explains the evolution of the Foundation, which sought to realign and redirect its goals starting in 1916 in response to other agencies supplanting the Foundation's (then the Magdalen Society) current functions. The Society switched its focus to the prevention of delinquency through vocational and educational guidance and changed its name to The White-Williams Foundation for Girls in February 1918. Initially focused on 5th and 6th graders, the Foundation extended its age range to the beginning of a child's school life and provided support for boys. The paper discusses special projects, its relationship with other social agencies, the financial policy, and the future of the Foundation. It also provides some statistics of service and financial statements. Summarized financial statement from January 1 to December 31, 1922. The paper also notes how salaries were distributed, what problems the teachers and principals faced, the number and location of counselors, the number of scholarships, how many visits were made to children's homes, and various statistics on the Junior Employment Department. The end of the year total receipts was $85,759.96 and the balance was $1,090.16. Pamphlet about the purpose of the White-Williams Foundation and how the Foundation operates in order to provide educational and vocational guidance to individuals. The first page lists the first point, which is "Maintaining Counselors." The second and third pages have the hierarchical structure of the Foundation. The fourth page lists points two, three, and four, which are "Training in Co-operation With the Pennsylvania School of Social and Health Work," "Research," and "Development of Public Opinion." The page also lists the trustees. Notable people include Frank D. (Dekker) Watson, who was the president of the Foundation and professor Sociology and Social Work at Haverford College.
Unknown, December 1979
Processed by Katherine Hong, completed May 2023
- Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections
- Finding Aid Author
- Katherine Hong
- Finding Aid Date
- May, 2023
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open for research use
- Use Restrictions
Standard Federal Copyright Law Applies (U.S. Title 17)