H. Mather Lippincott '43 papers
Held at: Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections [Contact Us]370 Lancaster Ave, Haverford, PA 19041
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
H. Mather Lippincott Jr. (1923-2011) was a Quaker architect who graduated from Haverford College in 1943, before receiving an architectural degree from the University of Pennsylvania. Together with his college roommate, Paul M. Cope Jr., Lippincott formed the firm of Cope & Lippincott Architects in 1956, which was responsible for designing and renovating Quaker schools in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and meetinghouses from North Carolina to Maine. In the early 1960s, the firm partnered with architect Robert Venturi on the commission for the iconic Guild House, a Quaker-sponsored retirement residence in Philadelphia.
Lippincott designed the Friends Center on Cherry Street in Philadelphia in 1978 and the Birmingham Township Municipal Building in Chester County in 1986 to resemble Quaker meetinghouses in the region.
Lippincott was a conscientious objector, but wanted to help his country in World War II, so he became an ambulance driver in Italy for the American Field Service, a Quaker organization. He rescued more than 1,000 wounded British soldiers in Sicily and later on Monte Cassino.
Lippincott was clerk of Media Friends Meeting. He served on the Friends General Conference Central Committee, and on the boards of the American Friends Service Committee and Pendle Hill, a Quaker study center in Wallingford.
He was a soccer player and also sang in the Union League Glee Club and the Men of Rose Valley Chorus.
This collection focuses on the Haverford College reunions of the class of 1943 in the years 1953, 1993, 1998, and 2000. There is also information from H. Mather Lippincott toward what would become the Haverford publication "The Fractured Forties." There are photographs, reunion events programs, memories of classmates, and letters to classmates. Additionally, there are undated negatives of buildings designed by the architectural firm of Cope & Lippincott; a photograph with head shots of all the members of Haverford College class of 1943 and one of the Friends World Committee in England in 1952; and a cloth doll of a Quaker lady, Mrs. Phillips, created by Franklin.
The H. Mather Lippincott '43 papers were donated to Special Collections, Haverford College in 2011 by Margaret Lippincott.
Processed by Diana Franzusoff Peterson.
- Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections
- Finding Aid Author
- Diana Franzusoff Peterson
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open for research use.
- Use Restrictions
Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).
Haverford College reunions of the class of 1943 represented in the collection are 1953, 1993, 1998 and 2000. Typical materials include photographs, reunion events programs, memories of classmates, letters to classmates. As well, there is information from Mather Lippincott toward what would become the Haverford publication "The Fractured Forties."
Included are undated negatives of buildings designed by the architectural firm of Cope & Lippincott; a photograph with head shots of all the members of Haverford College class of 1943 and one of Friends World Committee in England in 1952; and a cloth doll of a Quaker lady, Mrs. Phillips, created by Franklin.