Held at: German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]611 Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19123
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The American Committee for the Relief of German Children was initiated in December 1923 by Henry T. Allen, who had been the commander of the American Forces in Germany after World War I, from 1919 to 1923. He called the Committee into being upon observing persisting food shortages in Germany, due to distressed economic conditions. The American Friends Services Committee (AFSC) had conducted feeding operations in Germany immediately after the end of the war, but had withdrawn in 1922. In view of the continuing need, Allen sought to raise funds to prevent starvation, and turned to the AFSC to administer the aid. The AFSC was responsible for purchasing, transporting and distributing food in Germany.
Collection of two brochures and six clippings concerning the American Committee for Relief of German Children. One of the brochures is issued from the New York City headquarters of the Committee, and the other is issued from the Minnesota headquarters. In the latter, the appeal is tailored at points to the audience in Minnesota. The clippings were prepared by Ivy L. Lee, a press agent in New York City; they are dated 12 to 13 February 1924 and concern public reaction, especially related to the relief effort on behalf of German children, in light of the perceived insult to the United States when the German embassy in Washington D.C. failed to put the flag at half mast immediately upon receipt of the news of the death of Woodrow Wilson.
The clippings were prepared by Ivy L. Lee, as press agent, in New York City, for a Dr. Thomas, presumably Wilbur K. Thomas, Executive Secretary of the American Friends Service Committee, Philadelphia; and the brochures were together with them. These items were donated to the German Society of Pennsylvania by the American Friends Service Committee in June 1970.
- German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Violet Lutz
- The processing of this collection was made possible through generous funding from the Max Kade Foundation, as part of the grant project "Retrieval and Cataloging of the German-American Experience, 1918-1960."
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research.
- Use Restrictions
Copyright restrictions may apply. Please contact the German Society of Pennsylvania with requests for copying and for authorization to publish, quote or reproduce the material.