W. B. Harer papers
Held at: Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]19 South 22nd Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19103
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
W. Benson Harer (1896-1968), was a gynecologist and obstetrician. He served as professor of clinical obstetrics and gynecology at the Graduate School of Medicine of the University of Pennsylvania from 1924 to 1963. Harer graduated from the University of Pennsylvania Medical School in 1921. He was president of the Pennsylvania State Medical Society, director of the medical department of Blue Cross of Philadelphia, life member of the Governors of Pennsylvania Hospital Study Commission, and a Fellow of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia.
This is a collection of papers of W. Benson Harer which includes appointment books, certificates, photographs, patient records, and drug evaluation reports. The drug evaluation reports (1955-1960) include reports for Schering; Smith, Kline & French; Squibb; Merck and others. There are patient records dating between 1944-1955, and appointment books listing the names of patients and amount paid between 1948-1967. Also included is an account book of office expenses (1949-1954) and photographs of Wilbur Flannery.
Provenance: transferred from museum to library; originally gift of Marian H. Fetterman
Accession number: 1992.5.1
An inventory is available in the repository.
- Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
- Finding Aid Date
- This collection-level EAD record is a product of the Philadelphia Area Consortium of Special Collections Libraries (PACSCL) Consortial Survey Initiative, which was funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
The collection is open for research.